Description"Built in 1892 the Town Hall was a source of pride for the young town. A plaque reads: "By The Generosity Of Alderman William Anderson, First Mayor of Thornaby-on-Tees The Clock and Chimes in this Tower were given for the Benefit of the People." The architect was James Garry of West Hartlepool. Pevsner describes the building as "a totally undistinguished design on a visually most unsuitable site". Not to his taste then. Today the Thornaby Town Council stills meets here although most of the original administrative functions of the Municipal Borough of Thornaby-on-Tees have been absorbed into the present Borough Council of Stockton-on-Tees. The building itself is Grade II listed." Photo by Mick Garratt, 2007.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/323998
Resource type: Image
Added by: Splat
Last modified: 5 years, 9 months ago
Viewed: 409 times
Picture Taken: 2007-01-23