Tyne and Wear HER(2489): Marsden, Souter Point Lighthouse

  • Description

    "When it opened in 1871 Souter was the most advanced lighthouse in the world. It is sited on Lizard Point but named after Souter Point about one mile south, to avoid confusion with the Lizard Lighthouse in Cornwall. This lighthouse was designed by Sir James N. Douglas of Trinity House, with cottages for the engineer and four keepers, engine house, boiler house and workshops constructed together around a courtyard, the lantern housed at the top of a 75 foot high tapered stone tower, at a total of 150 feet above sea level. This lighthouse was the first specifically constructed to be powered by electric illumination. The original carbon arc lamps (now in the Science Museum) were replaced by oil in 1915 and then modernised with electric lamps in 1952...."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://twsitelines.info/SMR/2489
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Peter Smith
    Last modified: 6 years, 12 months ago
    Viewed: 514 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES