The former Odeon Cinema, Pilgrim Street, NE1

  • Description

    "The Paramount, as it was originally, opened in September 1931; it could seat 2,600 people. The plain brick face on Pilgrim Street is relieved by huge pilasters, brick panels and decorative stone cornice, balconies, and first floor windows. It became the Odeon in 1939. Two metal Paramount logos can still be seen above the cornice [[4448253]]. The building has been an empty shell since November 2002 http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/remember-when-newcastles-odeon-cinema-7786313 . The building was listed because it is one of the most complete survivors of the grand picture palaces of the past - but within months of listing, it was de-listed. The Buildings of Grainger Town - No.41. See [[4406042]]." Photo by Mike Quinn, 2013.
  • Owner

    Mike Quinn
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4415019
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 7 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 753 times
    Picture Taken: 2013-05-02
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES