CHURCH OF ST MARY - Gateshead - List Entry

  • Description

    "Large Parish Church, mainly C14 but with fragments of Norman work. Chancel much rebuilt in C19, mainly by John Dobson. Mid C18 west tower. Attached to north wall "The Anchorage" originally sheltered an anchoress, rebuilt in early C19 as a school and now used as vestry. Sandstone coursed rubble, some squared. Tower ashlar. Welsh slate roofs. Cruciform with nave aisles, south porch, projecting west tower with arch to nave of 1876, tall with four plain chamfers, to form baptistry in tower...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1248544
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 7 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 515 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES