St Wilfred, Kirkharle

  • Description

    Information about the church and services. "St Wilfrid's is a simple but beautiful fourteenth century building in Decorated style, altered in 1771-8 (when the west gable, porch and bell cope were added by Sir William Loraine) and in 1884. There are three medieval sedilia in the south wall of the chancel and a piscina with a projecting basin. The fifteenth- or sixteenth- century font, which bears the arms on each of its eight sides of old Northumbrian families, was rescued from the medieval church of All Saints, Newcastle. The great gardener Lancelot (Capability) Brown was born here and baptised in St Wilfrid's on 30th August 1716...."
  • Owner

    Church of England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.achurchnearyou.com/kirkharle-st-wilfred/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 278 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES