St Gregory, Kirknewton

  • Description

    Information about the church and service times. "The church building: A place of Christian worship has stood on this site since the eleventh century, or earlier. The chancel and south transept both date from the latter part of the fifteenth century, probably built with stones from the ruined Norman church. The church in its present form is the result of a restoration by John Dobson of Newcastle, completed in 1860. The great treasure of the church is the ancient stone relief of the adoration of the Magi set in the wall north of the chancel arch. The churchyard is blessed with the grave of Josephine Butler (1828-1906), remembered by the Church of England's Calendar as a Social Reformer."
  • Owner

    Church of England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.achurchnearyou.com/kirknewton-st-gregory/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Pat Thomson
    Last modified: 2 years, 6 months ago
    Viewed: 271 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES