Tyne and Wear HER(5163): Newcastle, Gibson St/New Bridge St, Washhouse and Baths

  • Description

    "Rare example of a now disappeared social phenomenon - the public washhouse - which developed along with other sanitary reforms in the mid Victorian era. 1906-7 by F.H. Holford, City Surveyor. Sandstone ashlar; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings. Brick chimney. During WW2 the reservoir of water was used by the National Fire Service. The faded sign is still visible next to the door. Building now adapted for badminton. Only one of three pre-1914 swimming baths in Tyne and Wear (the others being Wallsend and Byker). Gibson Street was the fourth public baths built in Newcastle under the Baths and Wash Houses Act 1846 (the aim was to provide individual 'slipper' baths and laundries to combat disease). The building was opened in April 1907......"
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://twsitelines.info/SMR/5163
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 358 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES