Longhirst (Northumberland)

  • Description

    "The civil parish of Longhirst lies in south-east Northumberland, approximately 3km north-east of Morpeth, the county town. The parish was formed in 1875. Before this, it was part of the parish of Bothal.... The village of Longhirst was planned and largely built in the mid-19th century. It includes the Church of St John the Evangelist, built in 1876. St John's became the parish church of the parish created a year earlier. The architect was Sir Arthur Blomfield. The church was commissioned and paid for by the local landowners, the Lawsons of Longhirst Hall, who gave it to the village after it was complete. A smithy and tilery were part of the estate in the 19th century. Longhirst railway station, on the Morpeth to Berwick line, opened in the 19th century. It incorporated a lime depot, allowing locally quarried limestone to be transported by rail to neighbouring areas as fertiliser...."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=N13391
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 11 months ago
    Viewed: 318 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES