Description"Winlaton Cottage Forge is the last remaining link in the village with Crowley’s, a firm, which dominated the iron manufacturing trade in the North East throughout the 18th Century. To find out more or to gain access, please contact Blaydon Library, Wesley Court, Blaydon, Tyne and Wear NE21 5BT.....Ambrose Crowley originally from Stourbridge, opened a nail factory in Sunderland around the year 1682, nine years later he moved to Winlaton, on a ridge above the rivers Tyne and Derwent. By 1697 Crowley was advertising for sale, chains, edging tools, files, hinges, nails and pattern rings, as well as ‘almost all other sorts of Smith’s ware’. Further works opened at Winlaton Mill and Swalwell, where the river Derwent provided the power for heavier types of iron manufacture....."
LicenseWhat does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
Further informationLink: http://www.gatesheadlibraries.com/news/other-news/winlaton-forge
Resource type: Text/Website
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 3 years, 7 months ago
Viewed: 307 times
Picture Taken: Unknown