St. Mary's Chapel (Jesmond) Alcove

  • Description

    St. Mary's Chapel was built in 12th century with later additions in the 14th. By 1548, however, records show that the chapel was no longer in use , and King Edward VI gave it to the Corporation. It passed through several private hands before being eventually returned to the city by Lord Armstrong in 1883. This chapel and the nearby well were places of pilgrimage for centuries; miracles and cures were supposed to have happened here. Pilgrim Street in the city is named from this as it was the principal access from the south. Some devout people still leave offerings here today.
  • Owner

    Chemival (slowly getting back in the swing...)
  • Source

    Flickr (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? All Rights Reserved (Seek permission to reuse)
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/48901350@N07/5464860423/
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 8 months ago
    Viewed: 405 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES