Tyne and Wear HER(145): Jesmond, Chapel of St. Mary

  • Description

    "The chapel, which fell within the parochial chapelry of St. Andrew, Newcastle, is first mentioned in 1272 and was a place of pilgrimage in the Middle Ages. It was dissolved in 1548 and dismantled before 1562, but up to the end of the 18th century a part of the ruins was still known as the Hospital, through having been the hospice of the pilgrims. It had various owners until Lord Armstrong gave it to the City in 1883....."
  • Owner

  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://sitelines.newcastle.gov.uk/SMR/145
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 7 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 720 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.