St Mary's Chapel, Jesmond - List entry

  • Description

    "....The monument includes the remains of St Mary's Chapel, located above a tributary dene to Jesmond Dene in the Jesmond Grove area of Jesmond. It was a medieval place of pilgrimage. The chapel is sited on a level area bounded to the south by a steep slope, with traces of a stone boundary wall along its top. The remains, which are Listed Grade II*, include the chancel, chantry chapel and nave, constructed of coarse grained sandstone blocks. The chancel and chantry chapel survive to a height of about 6m. A 2m length of the north wall and a 3m length of the south wall of the nave survive at the chancel end. The original length of the nave, approximately 20m, is depicted on the 1859 Ordnance Survey 1:2500 map..."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1018640
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 9 months ago
    Viewed: 242 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES