CHURCH OF ST ANDREW - Bywell - List Entry

  • Description

    "Parish Church. Pre-Conquest nave and tower; upper part of tower early C11, nave and lower part of tower probably earlier. Chancel and south transept early C13. Alterations 1830,1850 by John Dobson, and addition of north transept, chapel, vestry and probably south porch 1871 by William Slater of London. Pre-Conquest fabric heavy roughly-squared rubble with massive quoins, medieval parts coursed rubble, C19 parts squared tooled stone with tooled ashlar quoins and dressings; stone slate roofs. Alterations in C13 style. Cruciform with west tower, north vestry and chapel, south porch. Tall tower with string courses below and above belfry; apparent buttresses are remains of west gable of taller Pre-Conquest nave...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1044831
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 9 months ago
    Viewed: 365 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES