World War 2 pillbox

  • Description

    [Overlooking the St Cuthbert's Way near Wooler, this pillbox is easy to miss due to encroaching vegetation and trees. Part of an extensive network of British Anti-Invasion defences built between 1940 and 1945, this is a type 24 pillbox. Hexagonal in plan, the entrance wall is longer than the other sides and this pillbox could hold a garrison of up to eight men. (Source: British Anti-Invasion Defences 1940-1945,the official handbook of the Pillbox Study Group by Austin J. Ruddy).] Photo by Walter Baxter, 2007, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
  • Owner

    Geograph.org.uk
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/449209
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 9 months ago
    Viewed: 393 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES