Abberwick medieval village, tower house and open field system - List Entry

  • Description

    "The monument includes the deserted remains of the medieval village of Abberwick, the foundations of a tower house and a section of the surviving open field system. The earliest documentary reference to the village at Abberwick is contained in a document of 13th-century date where it was recorded as a member of the barony of Wark on Tweed. In common with other Northumberland villages, the population of the village fell between the end of the 13th century and 1336, when there were only six individuals eligible to pay taxes. The fall in population is usually attributed to devastation of villages by the wars with Scotland, a series of failed harvests and the effects of the Black Death...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1016350
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 8 months ago
    Viewed: 252 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES