Clennell deserted medieval village (Netherton with Biddlestone)

  • Description

    "In the medieval period Clennell was one of the 'Ten Towns of Coquetdale'. It is first mentioned in documentary sources in 1242 and is recorded in various tax rolls through the 13th to 17th centuries. It is thought that the village was cleared away to make way for the park and gardens surrounding Clennell Hall. The only medieval earthworks to survive from this period are the ridges and furrows of the village's field system...."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Detailsx?PRN=N1058
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 9 months ago
    Viewed: 656 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES