Clennell Hall (Netherton with Biddlestone)

  • Description

    "Clennell Hall lies in a strategic position at the entrance to the valley of the River Alwin. The building comprises a medieval tower house, with a 17th century house attached to its south side, and 18th and 19th century additions. The tower house was built in late medieval times and belonged to Percival Clennell. It stands three storeys high with walls over 1.5m thick at basement level. The basement of the tower is vaulted and many original features survive. The south range has long been recorded as having been built in 1568, but it is now thought unlikely that an undefended house would be built at this time in the unsettled Border region and a later 17th century date may be more likely. Further additions and alterations were made in the 18th and 19th centuries, and a Tudor style mansion was added in 1895 for Anthony Wilkinson. This is a Grade II Listed Building protected by law." Photo by Les Hull, 2015, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
  • Owner

    Geograph.org.uk
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4589710
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 9 months ago
    Viewed: 517 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES