Where the legions once trod

  • Description

    "A memorial stone commemorating the Roman links with Lanchester. Longovicium was an auxiliary fort located on Dere Street, a major Roman road running from York to Hadrian'sWall and beyond. The stone stands beside the Lanchester Valley Railway Path (National Cycle Network, route 14) one of many railway paths in County Durham, which follows the line of an old railway from Consett to Durham. The railway was opened in 1862, closed to passengers in 1939 and finally closed in 1965." Photo by Oliver Dixon, 2013, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
  • Owner

    Geograph.org.uk
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3371658
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 6 months ago
    Viewed: 337 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES