Parsons' Polygon,Blackett Street, Newcastle upon Tyne - List Entry

  • Description

    "....Parsons’ Polygon was commissioned from the artist David Hamilton in 1982 and was unveiled in 1985. The structure was designed to clad a concrete ventilation shaft for the underground Metro tunnel. It is the only Metro artwork sited outside a station and stands in a prominent public thoroughfare nearby to the Earl Grey Monument in the centre of Newcastle. Hamilton designed the hexagonal, terracotta-clad structure to celebrate the achievements of the engineer Sir Charles Parsons (1854-1931), who is best known for his development of terrestrial and marine steam turbine engines. The work was intended ‘not (as) a statue of the man, but a symbol of his stature amongst engineers and the world at large’. The designs pressed into the terracotta tiles are abstracted from Parsons’ engineering drawings...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1437311
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 236 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES