Description"The Watch House built in 1880 was the HQ of the Seaton Sluice Volunteer Life-Saving Company. The company, formed in 1876, were based onshore and operated by firing a line to stricken vessels, hauling crew and passengers ashore. The building consisted of a watch tower, muster room and coal store. In 1925 a look out was built nearer to the sea making the watch tower redundant. The remainder of the building continued in use unti 1990. The Watch House Museum is now owned by Northumberland County Council and contains information about the life savers and historic photographs of the area." Photo by Paul Buckingham, 2013, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3574346
Resource type: Text/Website
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 5 years ago
Viewed: 408 times
Picture Taken: Unknown