The Watch House

  • Description

    "...in 1876, a small group of volunteers was enrolled to assist the local Coastguard, thus creating the Seaton Sluice Volunteer Life-Saving Company. Soon afterwards, a Cart House, in which to keep the life-saving apparatus, was built behind the King's Arms, and on 14th January 1880 this Watch House was opened. It was built at the expense of Lord Hastings of nearby Seaton Delaval Hall and consists of a Watch Tower and a Muster Room, originally fitted with a cast‑iron range with fire grate & flanking hobs, "for the convenience of the men" and a Coal Store. The Watch House is now a Grade II Listed Building and belongs to Northumberland County Council...."
  • Owner

    Seaton Sluice and Old Hartley Local History Society
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.seaton-sluice.btck.co.uk/TheWatchHouse
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years ago
    Viewed: 420 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES