Tyne and Wear HER(6739): Whitley Bay, Whitley Road, Nos. 246-248, Coliseum Theatre

  • Description

    "The Coliseum, advertised as a new theatre and variety hall, was built in the garden of Whitley House, then the Unionist Club, by Mr William Smelt and opened on Whit Saturday in 1910. The Whitley Seaside Chronicle described it thus: "the interior is spacious, and the roof, pannelled and ornamental, is lofty, and well provided with ventilators. At either side of the stage a couple of boxes, roomy enough each to accommodate ten persons..."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://twsitelines.info/SMR/6739
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 471 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES