CHURCH OF ST MARY - Gainford - List Entry

  • Description

    "Parish church. Early C13 with C15 north vestry and later west stair turret; organ chamber and north porch added during restoration by J.A. Cory in 1864. Dressed sandstone with graduated green slate roofs. West tower with stair turret; aisled nave with aisles engaging tower, north and south porches; chancel with north vestry and attached organ chamber to west. Mainly C19 Perpendicular-style fenestration. 3-stage tower; belfry has corbelled parapet with 4 corner pinnacles of 1786.... "
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1121114
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 7 years, 7 months ago
    Viewed: 559 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES