Description"A school between 1818 and 1899 as recorded above the windows. Carved on stones between these two front windows are the initials WB (William Bowman) , AGB Alfred Graham Bowman), and FEB (Ferdinand Ernest Bowman) - of the founder and his two sons who were co-Principals after WB died. And a Teesdale Buildings Preservation Trust blue plaque was added in 1987: [Gainford Academy 1818-1899. Gainford Academy was founded in 1818 by the congregational minister the Rev. William Bowman. It operated from this building until 1899 when it was moved to North Terrace. In 1864 there were 80 boarders. The most famous pupil of the academy was Arthur Stanley Jefferson (Stan Laurel) of Laurel and Hardy fame. The building was later acquired by the Edleston family who gave it to the village in 1964. The building was restored for housing in 1987.] The ground floor slso now serves as a village theatre." Photo by Stanley Howe, 2013, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3423577
Resource type: Text/Website
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 4 years ago
Viewed: 418 times
Picture Taken: Unknown