CHURCH OF ST ANDREW - Aycliffe - List Entry

  • Description

    "Parish church. Evidence of Saxon nave and tower; c.l190 Transitional nave and chancel; c.1220 upper stages of tower refaced and south aisle added; Cl5 belfry; 1835 south porch; 1881-2 restoration by Ewan Christian included addition of new north aisle, organ chamber and vestry and rebuilding of chancel south wall. Snecked and rubble masonry with green slate roofs. West tower engaged by aisled nave; south porch; chancel with north organ chamber and vestry. Buttressed, 4-stage tower with possibly Saxon sandstone masonry in lower 2 stages and limestone above..."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1322806
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 7 years, 11 months ago
    Viewed: 548 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES