Allen smelt mill, flue system and chimneys

  • Description

    "...The monument includes the remains of part of an ore hearth smelt mill and a reverberatory smelt mill, as well as the extensive system of flues which includes two chimneys, several ramped access ways and part of a contemporary trackway. It is in six separate areas of protection. The smelt mill is situated on the valley floor on the south side of the River East Allen; the flues emerge from the rear of the smelt mill and run in a south westerly direction to the open fells above, terminating in a stone built chimney near the watershed at Flow Moss approximately 3.5km away. Ore smelting in Allendale is well documented and a smelt mill is recorded in AD 1692 which belonged to the Bacon family. During the 18th century the smelt mill was leased from Sir William Blackett by Lancelot Algood who used it to smelt ore from his Alston Moor mines. From 1786 the mill was owned by the Beaumont Company which, during the 19th century, carried out improvements to the smelt mill...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1016817
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 304 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES