Description"The old road is all that is left of the cobbled back lane that ran between the backs of the terraced houses of Atkinson Road and Helen Street, built for factory workers around 1905. The nature part also includes the site of Joan Street built in 1903. The houses were demolished in 1977. The cobbled surface was left as a demonstration of plants ability to colonise man-made surfaces. The bank on the right hand side, beyond the trees, was constructed with limestone rocks from Marsden Quarry in Co. Durham to provide additional habitats for lime-loving grassland plants such as rock-rose, field scabious and bloody cranesbill. The surrounding woodland was planted with a range of native deciduous trees which are still only just over 20 years old." Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2012, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2863283
Resource type: Text/Website
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 5 years, 11 months ago
Viewed: 433 times
Picture Taken: Unknown