Tyne and Wear HER(12887): Benwell, Church of St. James, churchyard

  • Description

    "The churchyard was consecrated in 1832. It was extended to the south in 1858 to accommodate a large number of burials from the workhouse. Further land was added in 1899. The churchyard was closed for burials in the 1960s. The churchyard contains the graves of several rich and powerful families (HER 12878-12886). The most famous is Richard Grainger..."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/12887
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 6 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 423 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES