Description"Keys to the Past Web Site: Holywell Hall, although now two houses, was once a larger building. It was probably built in the early to mid-18th century, but the wings may be earlier, possibly 16th century. It was built from sandstone rubble and has a slate roof. Holywell is so named because St. Cuthbert's body is believed to have rested there c.882 on its travels with the Lindisfarne Community who were evading the Danish raids. From 1402 the Nevilles of Brancepeth Castle lodged their Constables on this site." Photo by Les Hull, 2008, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1018485
Resource type: Text/Website
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 4 years, 2 months ago
Viewed: 369 times
Picture Taken: Unknown