The Newton Cap Railway Viaduct Conversion

  • Description

    Leaflet by the Charted Institution of Highways and Transportation, including history and photos. "Newton Cap Railway Viaduct is a fine example of Victorian engineering and carried the railway high over the River Wear at Bishop Auckland from 1857 to the closure of the railway line in 1968. It was subsequently incorporated into Durham County Council’s network of country walks, but reassumed its importance as a key transport link in 1995 when converted to carry the A689 over the river, replacing the nearby narrow 14th century Bishop Skirlaw Bridge. It is thought to be the first such conversion scheme in the UK..."
  • Owner

    Charted Institution of Highways and Transportation
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.ciht.org.uk/download.cfm/docid/E55DB01A-4C93-4FAD-9648602F54B79EC3
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 372 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES