Description"Bothal or as it was known Bottel meaning a house or a hamlet was fortified before the Norman Conquest the existing structure dates from C14. A licence to crenellate was granted to Sir Robert Bertram in 1343 and it is assumed that he then built the gatehouse probably on the site of a former Norman motte. A survey in 1576 records the castle having among other facilities, a great chamber, seven bed chambers, bakehouse, brewhouse and a court called the gatehouse wherein there is a prison. It was at that time also noted for its "fair gardinges and orchetts, wherein growed all kynde, Peers, damsillis, nuttes,wardens cherries to the black and redde, wallnutes, and also Licores verie fine". The house built in the 1840s occupies the position one taken by two towers, The Blanke Tower and the Ogle Tower. The gate tower and fragments of curtain wall are medieval, a good deal of which survives. The rest of the castle was built within the last sixty years. The castle is in an excellent state of repair and is used as a private residence and as offices by the agent of the Duke of Portland and forms part of the Welbeck estate." Photo by Norman MacKillop, 2008, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/751857
Resource type: Text/Website
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 4 years, 3 months ago
Viewed: 376 times
Picture Taken: Unknown