Inscription on obelisk of Hawthorn tomb, Church of St. Michael & All Angels, Newburn

  • Description

    "The obelisk is shown here NZ1665 : Church of St. Michael & All Angels, Newburn Erected by Robert and William Hawthorn in memory of their parents, Alice and Robert. Inscriptions on the other two sides in memory of the sons and their families. Robert Hawthorn Jnr. (1796-1867) founded a shipbuilding and marine engineering concern in Newcastle-upon-Tyne during 1817. In 1818, his brother William joined the works as an assistant and working foreman, and in 1820 became a partner of R & W Hawthorn Ltd LinkExternal link In 1831, the first railway locomotive emerged from the Forth Bank Works. By 1870, the plant was entirely devoted to railway work, all marine activities being transferred to a new site on the north bank of the Tyne. In 1886, R & W Hawthorn combined with A. Leslie and Co. (Shipbuilders) of Hebburn, and the new company of R & W Hawthorn Leslie was founded LinkExternal link Marine work now became the main business although the original Forth Bank Works was kept exclusively for locomotive building. During the mid-1930s, when locomotive work was falling off throughout the country, the railway side of the business was sold to Robert Stephenson & Co. Ltd of Darlington, and in June 1937 Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn (RSH) was formed. Both factories were retained, building designs from their former separate ownership until RSH designs were evolved. In 1943 RSH became a subsidiary of the Vulcan Foundry who themselves were taken over by English Electric. Despite this the RSH name remained. 1960 saw an even further drop in the locomotive trade and the Newcastle works was closed, all works being concentrated at Darlington. Later on in the 1960s all reference to RSH was dropped and the English Electric name was used. English Electric closed down the Darlington works as well and all locomotive building was transferred to the Vulcan Foundry plant." Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2013, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
  • Owner

    Geograph.org.uk
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3344268
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 7 months ago
    Viewed: 387 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES