All Saints Church, Pilgrim Street

  • Description

    "Pevsner says “Built 1786-96 by David Stephenson - an excellent job, original in its plan and most effective in its exterior. This church was the successor to a mediaeval church with, according to an 18th C drawing, a 12th C doorway. A boss with the arms of Robert Rhodes proves that the church received a new tower vault in the 15th C” “The church is set at the edge of the virtual cliff of the river valley, a steep bank with the Quayside chares between it and the Quay.” The body of the church is elliptical, with apses at the east and west sides. The whole tower projects in front of the church and is combined with a portico". Photo by Mike Quinn, 2014, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
  • Owner

    Geograph.org.uk
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3942162
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 7 years, 11 months ago
    Viewed: 930 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES