Description"It was built by the North Eastern Railway company as a heavy rail station, and opened in December 1900. The station platforms are on opposite sides of the line and are linked by an underground pedestrian subway. The platforms originally had glass awnings to shelter passengers, but these were removed in the 1970s. The sawn-off remnants of these awnings can still be seen attached to the station buildings. The station closed in 1978 for conversion to Metro service, reopening in August 1980. The original station buildings were kept, but the platforms were shortened and a new footbridge was built over the line." Photo by Matthew Hatton, 2008, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1068435
Resource type: Text/Website
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 3 years, 4 months ago
Viewed: 256 times
Picture Taken: Unknown