Tyne and Wear HER(1436): Newcastle, Austin Friary

  • Description

    "The first reference to the friary is from 1291. The precinct grew piecemeal in the early 14th century, and lay between the town wall, Carliol Croft (Square) and Manor Chare. The friary housed 25 in 1299, 24 in 1322, and when surrendered in 1539, it accommodated the prior, 8 friars and 3 novices...."
  • Owner

  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://twsitelines.info/SMR/1436
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 6 years, 7 months ago
    Viewed: 519 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.