Tyne and Wear HER(1433): Newcastle, Dominican Friary (Blackfriars)

  • Description

    "The first reference to the friary dates from 1239. Their precint was acquired piecemeal, and came to extend east-west from Low Friar St to beyond Corporation St, and north-south from Morden Tower to the town wall. The gatehouse was probably in Low Friar Lane. Its buildings included a church (with 6-7 bay aisled nave), 90 foot square south cloister with lean-to walks, an East range...."
  • Owner

  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.twsitelines.info/smr/1433
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 7 years, 12 months ago
    Viewed: 585 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.