Description"The granite mill stones in the foreground are left as reminders of the Gallowgate Lead Works which operated in this location for over 150 years. It was established in the late 1790s and finally closed in 1933. It produced white lead products for paint and lead shot for munitions. Shot was made by pouring a mix of molten lead and arsenic through colanders then down a shaft (220 feet deep and 6 foot diameter) into water. The shot house was located close to the Morden Tower with the site of the shaft marked on the ground just adjacent to the mill stones. The site was cleared before the start of WW2 and bought by United Automobile Services Ltd. for a bus depot." Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2010, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1666399
Resource type: Text/Website
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 5 years, 8 months ago
Viewed: 508 times
Picture Taken: Unknown