Cornforth – a short history, by Jane Hatcher

  • Description

    "The place‐name has been interpreted as meaning ‘the ford of the cranes’ from the Old English words cran and forth. The area came within the jurisdiction of the Bishop of Durham, and Cornforth Moor was mentioned in old documents relating to the Palatinate of Durham in 1303, and Corneforth occurs in Bishop Hatfield’s Survey of 1382. The ford in question provided access to the Bishop’s fulling mill, later a corn watermill, on the Coxhoe Beck, which was still shown on 20th century Ordnance Survey maps. The old village of Cornforth developed irregularly around its large village green. The first edition of the 6 inch Ordnance Survey map of 1856 shows endowed schools for both boys and girls sited on and around the village green...."
  • Owner

    Durham in Time
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.durhamintime.org.uk/durham_miner/cornforth_history.pdf
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 11 months ago
    Viewed: 527 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES