Tyne and Wear HER(4874): Newcastle, Sandhill, Guildhall

  • Description

    "The east end of this complex building is a neo-Grecian remodelling of a medieval building, completed by Dobson in 1823-5. The main structure was built in the period 1655-60 by Robert Trollope, a mason from York, but was given a conventional classical north front in 1794-6 by Stephenson and Newton, and a classical south front in 1809 by John and William Stokoe. The first reference to a guildhall in Newcastle, probably on this site, occurs in 1400. LISTED GRADE 1"
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/4874
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 6 months ago
    Viewed: 252 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES