Descriptionhttp://list.historicengland.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1115737" >list.historicengland.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1115737 Shop and restaurant, now public house and offices. 1869 by R. Fairbairn for Pumphrey and Carrick Watson. Grey brick with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with cast iron cresting. 3 storeys and attics; 5 bays. Ground floor original elaborate wood shop front with colonettes, brackets and mouldings. Windows on upper floors have chamfered jambs; shouldered lintels on first floor; segmental lintels on second except in slightly-projecting centre bay which has 4 arcaded round-headed windows. Large bracketed cornices above first floor windows; bracketed sills and label moulds to those on second floor. Prominent eaves cornice, bracketed over central bay. Roof has 5 round-headed dormers; Mansard roof except for centre bay which has tall steeply-pitched hipped roof. Cast iron crestings. Interior: staircase and first floor coffee rooms 1897 by Oliver and Leeson in a distinctive version ofthe Arts and Crafts style. Slatted seats with brass rails holding parcel racks above. Tapered pilasters frame doors. Fretwork Moorish-style pendants in coffee rooms partly damaged at time of survey, as was fretwork above door between rooms with inserted door of c. 1983. First floor redecoration of the Oak Room 1914.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution-NonCommercial License
Further informationLink: https://www.flickr.com/photos/69959962@N00/19697854784/
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 6 years, 10 months ago
Viewed: 901 times
Picture Taken: Unknown