Haswell; Haswell Plough (County Durham) - Local History

  • Description

    "Sadly, we know little about Haswell or Haswell Plough before the medieval period. There was certainly some kind of settlement here in the Anglo-Saxon period, as the name of the villages are derived from Old English meaning 'hazel spring or stream'. However, the village was only first recorded (as Hessewella and Hessewelle) in the 12th century. Haswell consists of three parts, Haswell, Haswell Plough and High Haswell. the original village of Haswell was sited at High Haswell where only a few farms and dwelling houses remain. A charter, dating to around 1300 recorded the remains of a medieval chapel. In a field called Chapel Garth, the foundations of what are supposed to have been this chapel could be traced. A holy water stoup was found here, and is now used as a font in the mission-church at Haswell Plough. Coal was discovered in 1831..."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Detailsx?PRN=D6815
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 6 years, 9 months ago
    Viewed: 717 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES