Description'The memorial was erected on 14th February 1920 to perpetuate the memory of the eleven men from the village of Stargate who fell in the Great War. Standing on a site at the northern entrance to the village, and abutting the main road way, the memorial takes the form of a circular monument in polished Aberdeen granite, with a base of Spanish freestone, and bears the inscription in imperishable lead writing: “Erected by the Stargate Welcome Home Association to the memory of the heroes whose names are recorded below, who served their country and sealed their love by death in the Great War. August 1914 - November1918. May their reward be as great as their sacrifices.” A further 21 names were added to the memorial after the Second World War. The memorial is described here LinkExternal link Behind are the Aged Miner's Homes on Stargate Lane, built in 1925.' Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2012, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2823516
Resource type: Text/Website
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 3 years, 9 months ago
Viewed: 351 times
Picture Taken: Unknown