Beaurepaire, Bearpark, Prior Manor House (Bearpark)

Related Pages



  • Description

    "The remains of the Prior's House and chapel of Beaurepaire or Bear Park, built by Prior Bertram (1244-58), later destroyed by the Scots and rebuilt, C.1346, by Prior Fosser. Whilst the Prior and Bishop of Durham had to lived at close quarters within the city, the Bishop had his favourite country seat at Bishop Auckland and the Prior his rather nearer home here at Beaurepaire; both houses were the centres of large hunting parks, that at Beaurepaire of 1300 acres. Beau Repaire is French for beautiful retreat and the manor house here was used as a retreat for the priors and monk of Durham Cathedral. ...It suffered badly during Scottish attacks culminating in the nearby Battle of Neville's Cross in 1346..." Read more on Keys to the Past
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Pat Thomson
    Last modified: 7 years, 8 months ago
    Viewed: 741 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.