Conservation Area Appraisal - Shotley Bridge (2009)

  • Description

    "...The earliest reference to a parish by the name of Shotley is considered to be 1165, when the endowment of Blanchland Abbey included a chapel of Shotley. However, the first historical record of Shotley Bridge by name is believed to be in the Halmote Court Roll of the Manor of Lanchester, under the heading of Benfieldside, in 1356. Snow’s Green hamlet is also of quite ancient origins and is said to have been named after Thomas Snawe, who owned the land in the sixteenth century...during the post medieval period, industries developed along the banks of the river. In the mid-19th century the village became a wealthy, fashionable village and it was during this time that most of the impressive stone buildings that now dominate the village were constructed. Alongside these grand Victorian properties are pockets of agricultural activity and remnants of an extensive industrial history...."
  • Owner

    Durham County Council
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.durham.gov.uk/media/3603/Shotley-Bridge-Conservation-Area-Appraisal/pdf/ShotleyBridgeConservationAreaCharacterAppraisal.pdf
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 451 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES