DescriptionPhotograph from 1968 by Alan Murray-Rust and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence (CC BY-SA 2.0). "The Teesside Railless Traction Board was a jointly owned operation involving Middlesbrough Corporation and Eston Urban District Council, principally to link the local steelworks with residential areas. Grangetwon was the original eastern terminus of the system until later housing estates were developed. This shows the old centre of Grangetown, Grangetown Square, with the tall chimneys of the Dorman Long steelworks behind. Practically nothing of the 'permanent' buildings, structures and roads remains today. The Victorian housing has disappeared and been replaced by light industrial development with a significantly different road pattern. The chimneys are also gone, although the large shed just visible at the end of the street is still visible on current satellite views. The trolleybus in the picture is a stranger in town. It is a preserved and restored vehicle from the former Brighton Hove and District company which was operating a tour for trolleybus enthusiasts. Towards the end of trolleybus operation in the UK many of the remaining systems allowed enthusiasts to bring preserved vehicles to operate on special occasions. By the time of this picture the section of wiring in Grangetown Square was no longer in use by regular services."
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2372474
Resource type: Text/Website
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 6 years, 5 months ago
Viewed: 1113 times
Picture Taken: Unknown