DescriptionThis building contains a pit ("grube" in German), possibly for grain storage. Later names for this structure might have been grubhouse, or grubhut. It's based on the plan for a building discovered by archaeologists at New Bewick in Northumberland, although similar buildings from this period have been found all over Northern Europe. It is thatched with heather. Gearwe was the Anglo-Saxon name for Jarrow. The generic name for these types of structure is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit-house#Early medieval Europe" >Pit-House.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike License
Further informationLink: https://www.flickr.com/photos/60006733@N05/6880268241/
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 6 years, 10 months ago
Viewed: 1079 times
Picture Taken: Unknown