NER Inspection Saloon No.1661 (LNER No.21661)

  • Description

    Built in 1871 by the Stockton & Darlington Railway as a 6-wheel 3rd Class saloon. In 1876 the S&DR became the North Eastern Railway which converted it in 1884 to an Inspection Saloon (No.1661) for its Locomotive Superintendent, Edward Fletcher. In 1904 it was rebuilt to a 40 ft bogie vehicle. It became LNER No.21661 and BR No.E902179E and was not withdrawn until 1969 - only 2 years short of it's 100th birthday! It was also used by the Worsdell brothers and Raven of the NER, and on the LNER by Thompson and Peppercorn when Deputy CME's. It also featured in the film "The Railway Children" as "The Old Gentleman's Saloon". In NER varnished teak livery. At Barrow Hill, 04/12.
  • Owner

    hugh llewelyn
  • Source

    Flickr (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike License
  • Further information

    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 7 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 2016 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.