Souter lighthouse extra facts

  • Description

    Souter lighthouse was built by James Douglass in 1871, at the cost of £8000. The lighthouse is located near a village named Marsden. Unfortunately, the village was destroyed in the 1960s. Souter Lighthouse was actually built on Lizard Point. The lighthouse was decommissioned in 1988 and then used for radio navigation. The lighthouse guided sailors for over 100 years. Finally in 1999 the lighthouse closed down.
  • Owner

  • Source

    Flickr (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? Attribution-NonCommercial License
  • Further information

    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Max Mellor
    Last modified: 7 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 653 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.