Timeline of souter lighthouse

  • Description

    This was also the year that Souter converted from electricity to oil, a change which was reversed in 1952 when 4,500 watt bulbs were installed - capable of producing a beam of 1.5 million candle power. Apart from changes to the rotating turntable these were the last major changes to the machinery. Beginning January 1871 the white light flashed for five seconds at 30 second intervals over a 180 degree arc. In 1919 the light was changed to red and the lighthouse changed colour too – from black and white to international Oran. Souter Lighthouse was built in 1871. In one year alone - 1860 - there were 20 shipwrecks
  • Owner

    wikipedia
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souter_Lighthouse
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Max Mellor
    Last modified: 9 years ago
    Viewed: 566 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES