Some Facts about souter lighthouse

  • Description

    Souter Lighthouse *It was opened in 1871 after beaning under construction. *44 shipwrecks were found per every mile of coastline next to the lighthouse. *The lighthouse is located on Lizard Point, but takes its name from Souter Point, which is located a mile to the south. *The lighthouse was decommissioned in 1988, but continued to serve as a radio navigation beacon up until 1999 when it was finally closed. *800 000 candle power was generated using carbon arcs and not an incandescent light bulb.
  • Owner

    wikipedia
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souter_Lighthouse
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Max Mellor
    Last modified: 9 years ago
    Viewed: 678 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES